What is the U7 Program?
The U7 Program is a Hockey Canada sponsored program that introduces the basic skills of hockey in a fun and safe environment and focuses on the development of skills in a non-competitive environment.
The Goals of the U7 Program are the following:
- To have fun while playing hockey and engaging in physical activity
- To learn the basic skills required to-play the game of hockey.
- To develop an understanding of basic teamwork through participation in a variety of activities and adapted game situations.
- To create and refine basic motor patterns.
- To be introduced to the concepts of cooperation and fair play.
The U7 program recommends the following practice time allotment:
- 85% technical skills
- 15% individual tactics
- 0% team tactics
- 0% team play
- 0% strategy
For more information on the Hockey Canada U7 Program, please check out the following web page: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/hockey-programs/coaching/under-7/parents/introduction
Please insure your child is properly equipped, below is a listing of the required equipment. To insure their safety, if your child does not have all the equipment listed below they will not be permitted on the ice.
If there are any questions please feel free to reach out with any questions to our Under7 Convenor at [email protected].
- Hockey helmet and face mask (Must be CSA approved and properly fitted)
- Socks and garter belt (or undergarment with Velcro to hold socks – normally holds Protective Cup/Jill as well)
- Neck guard (BNQ certified) which is neither too loose nor too tight
- Shin pads (proper size and length)
- Mouth guard (proper size) - not mandatory
- Elbow Pads (proper size)
- Skates – properly fitted and sharpened
- Hockey Gloves (proper size – avoid short cuffs as they do not provide proper protection against slashes to the wrist area)
- Stick - properly measured while on skates – should be at chin level; end of stick (knob) must be thick enough to not fit through any facemask openings.
- Hockey Pants (proper size and length)
- Protective Cup/Jill (proper size)